Pages


7/6/10

Monday, June 7th 2010

Dear Blog,

Today was my first formal meeting with the class at our “home base”, Galerie BOB. The weekend trip to Alma Lov was a nice precursor in that we had a chance to familiarize ourselves with one another in a casual environment. That was great for presentations today because usually I am terrified of “public speaking”, but I actually felt pretty comfortable with our group. Through the presentations we got a chance to learn about each other’s previous works, current trajectories, potential projects, favorite colors; all very exciting.

Asa Riestola visited us after lunch to provide some information regarding the inception, development, and current state of Bergsjon. She had an interesting insight into the issues surrounding life in Bergsjon, considering her background in architecture, (sub)urban planning, social/cultural integration, and art for social change. Also, her accent was extremely awesome.

Next we went to the local church/community center for a guided tour with Nadja. I had my first fika (birch beer with candy cigarettes) and we learned that the church may or may not be harboring illegal immigrants. An attractive Ethiopian woman was pressured into singing for us and a possible Jesus mural project arose…

Overall, I am optimistic of my choice in coming to Bergsjon, the curriculum, faculty and peers, etc. While it is evident there are some overlapping interests, the disparate backgrounds, perspectives, and agendas we represent are most exciting for me. There is a generous spirit amongst the members of our class, and I am looking forward to sharing and learning within such a diverse and passionate group. Hooray!

Sincerely,

Alex

No comments: